Friday, January 14, 2011

Atalaya: the watchtower

I leave my glasses behind so that I might see. The trail is a maze of ice winding through Pinon, Mesquite, and Juniper. Climbing I send out grappling hooks of energy. Invisible tow lines drag me up.

The summit is mine. Alone. Wind freezes scarf to lips.

My place of predilection isn't the jagged rocks that afford a sweeping view of the desert below. My place faces southeast, the backside of the mountain. Overlooked. A dark blemish below the protective hands of a towering tree. Here I give proper thanks.

Coming down the mountain, the ice maze a toboggan run. Heel to toe, my energy spread wide, gluing me to the glassy rut. All my awareness resides in my feet. Power paces me as I dance with my death. It plies my attention with the setting sun. One glance and I'm on the ground, sliding. I'm quick enough to avoid injury, not enough to stay standing.

Twilight brings out the shapes; flashes fleeting through doorways at the corners of my eyes. We play and I smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment